Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taco Casseroles and Bargain Shopping

I know totally off the wall title. But I saw this recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix box. The picture looked so good and I had to try it. Of course like the title says bargain shopping. So I had gotten the pancake mix on a Albertson's Bonus Buy, and I thought well I have a well stocked pantry and everything I need. Why not. Now here's the recipe with the changes I made to it, and approximately what it cost me to make it all from my restocked pantry.

Taco Casserole

filling:
* 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef (Fred Meyer sale $1.99)
* 1 cup onion, chopped (about half a small onion)(30 cents)
* 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped( we don't care for bell peppers so it's not worth keeping it around so some home dehydrated bell peppers it what I used)(50cents)
* 1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained (1cup and a half of frozen)($1)
* 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce (used a can of dice tomatoes)(37cents)
* 1 package (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning mix (my own homemade mix)(25cents)
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (deli markdown with coupons)(about 25cents)

topping:

* 1/2 cup Aunt Jemima® Original, Buttermilk Original, Complete or Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix (out of a $2 box I'm pretty sure at least 25 cents)
* 2/3 cup 2% milk (free with cereal promo)
* 1 egg, slightly beaten (markdown and then coupon)(10 cents?)
* 2 tsp. vegetable oil (Olive Oil 10 cents?)

1.Preheat oven to 350° F.
2.For filling, combine ground beef and onion in large skillet. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
3.Add peppers and corn, cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
4.Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning; cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
5.Pour hot beef mixture into 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" square baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese; set aside.
6.For topping, combine pancake mix, milk, egg and oil; stir with wire whisk until large lumps disappear. Pour over ground beef mixture; spread evenly.
7.Bake 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
8.Sprinkle top with additional cheese, if desired.

Recipe Yield: 8 servings (that's adults or get it before the 2 teenage hockey players in the house get to it. LOL!)

Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe

Nutrition Information:
Calories: 270, Calories from Fat: 120, Total Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Sodium: 760mg, Total Carbohydrates: 20g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 7g, Protein: 18g

Nutrition wise not bad. Low enough in carbs I wonder if I took too much insulin. hmmm
Cost wise $5.11 just a few cents over the $5 mark. The $5 dinner mom would be proud of me.
The boys loved it and even left enough for Phil to take for his lunch.

No comments: